How Eco-Friendly Are Condos in Arlington VA?
Arlington Virginia is one of the first places in the country to form its own certification of the eco-friendly home building, called Arlington Green Home Choice. The program represents a green home as being a "healthy, comfortable, cost efficient home that reduces energy and water usage and protects the environment". Components of a green home may include:
- Specific construction practices to reduce and recycle construction waste;
- Careful insulation practices;
- Non-toxic internal finishes (low VOC paint, sealants, and carpeting);
- Components made from renewable resources (such as cork or bamboo floors, wheatboard cabinetry);
- Recycled content elements (such as recycled glass tiles, recycled-content countertops);
- Energy saving appliances (Energy Star rated refrigerator, dishwasher, water heater, etc.);
- Photovoltaic (solar) panels;
- Water efficient devices and landscape irrigation (front loading clothes washers and moisture-sensing irrigation systems);
- Stormwater collection (rain barrels or larger cisterns);
- Careful placement of shade trees;
- Careful installation of windows to maximize interior light and ventilation.
The program was basically developed to recognize new homes being built within Arlington County that incorporated these attributes. It has recently evolved to include homes that have been significantly restored to obtain the Arlington Green Home Choice standards.To know more on Arlington condos you can browse metrohomesadvantage.com/listing-report/Arlington/355907/.
Arlington has excellent recycling programs in place for its residents. Single-stream collection means that all recyclable materials can be placed in the same bin without having to be sorted.